Friday, April 18, 2014

10 Things to Keep You From Peeing on a Stick Too Soon...

eldies-domesticated-life.blogspot.com...when you're trying to conceive.  That title is a little confusing and weird.  Sorry for that, but it brought you here.  So, thanks for stopping by!

Most of my friends are either just-about-to-burst pregnant or are already parents.  There are unlimited pictures of beautiful pregnant tummies and infants dolled up for their monthly photos.  And, while I absolutely appreciate what I already have, I am ready to be one of those people.  I want to put my baby in cutesy little outfits and take 2,000 photos. 
As I briefly mentioned here and here, Danny and I suffered a miscarriage in July, 2013.  It was devastating.  Since recovering from that, we've been eager to create life and add to our family.  We've even got the nursery almost complete!

We have been actively trying to expand our family.  We pray about it and we know that when the time is right, it will happen.  But, sometimes just knowing that doesn't comfort you while you impatiently wait those dreaded two weeks to get to the "peeing-on-a-stick-at-six-in-the-morning" stage.

Here are 10 things to do so you don't lose your mind while waiting for that time:

1. Play with your animals:  I love coming home to my dogs wagging their tails in excitement.  It may not be the healthiest thing in the world, but I let my babies give me kisses.  They make me happy. 

2.  Play with your mate:  While he may not be able to wag his tail, he still shows excitement and it could bring you closer to him.  Be silly and have fun to with him! 

3.  Create/Work in the garden:  You're going to need those veggies when you're pregnant anyway!  

4.  Take a walk every day:  This is just common sense AND beneficial on more than one level.  You get your exercise and, if you don't already know them, meet your neighbors and get to know the folks living in your neighborhood.

5.  Start working out:  If you don't already, start working out.  Sia at Diary of a Fit Mommy has SO many articles about working out during pregnancy as well as working out with your baby. :)  Check that out here.

6 Set up/Work on the nursery:  If you know you're going with a gender-neutral room, get started on it!  It builds excitement and that's one less thing to do when you're pregnant. 

7.  Start sewing "baby" items:  If this isn't a hobby of yours, give it a try!  While you don't know the gender yet, you could still sew some burp cloths and bibs.  It is satisfying to make something you know your baby will use [unless your baby comes out with his/her own burp cloth].

8.  Go on a date:  Dinner and a movie would be a great way to ease your mind. 

9.  Get some art in the nursery:  The baby benefits from colors, so get some art in there! Kelly at View Along the Way has a great article on some DIY (inexpensive) art.  Check that out here.

10.  Hang out with friends (especially friends with kids):  This may seem like it would bug you more, but friends with kids can relate with you and share their pregnancy stories.

 

Now, I want to hear from the mommies out there!  What did you do to pass the time during the "Two-Week Wait"?






[Eldie]

Linking up at these great parties!


*** Disclaimer: I am no expert on this.  These are just my opinions and a stab at humor detailing what has helped me.